• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Autism - Easening it?

Vacuumhed

Bluelighter
I was born with autism and still have it as much as I did when being a kid. Well, I myself have prooven autism necesseraily doesn't have to involve complete detachment with reality as I am able to communicate to a certain extent, but I struggle big time to get myself heard because I never really know how I am feeling or thinking. Actually, even building or comprehending a sentence is hard work for me (unless overly simplistic) so this prooves that I lack an ability which should have been acquired naturally in people. A quite annoying problem.

But the major issue that rages me is socializing, and that I've never had a friend during my entire life says a lot about my imprairment in listening, processing and coming up with a relevant reply someone would be expecting to hear, involving appropriate actions such as gestures and facial expression. Besides, sometimes I don't even understand what the point is of peoples sayings or jokes. I'm fucking tired, really, of getting ignored and frowned upon in the end for acting in a way that to me wasn't to upset them, then being clueless questioning myself, WHY? Although it is pointless, because even when realising what I did wrong, repeating the same mistake is inevitable.

I am always empty with topics inside my head and neither have any intrest in sharing, or even listening to, stories, partly because of how I find it so difficult to describe. This is shit, I don't wanna be some guy staring into the void all day. What I truly want are thoughts and opinions, emotional response from stimuli in this world. And imagination.

Come on scientists or some genious, give me a cure soon so I can survive in this destructive social hurricane that is reigning in human society. For carreers sake, at least.

Maybe there's something that can be done to lessen these annoying symptoms? Someone that knows? Please share

There is a behavioural treatment which has a fairly high success rate... if begun when the patient is less than three years old. It's one of the big successes of clinical behavioural psychology, but doesn't help you much I'm afraid.

Clearly though, your particular case isn't as severe as others. You have the will to converse with others, and perhaps in time form connections. Is it real-time conversation that you have trouble with, or do your difficulties remain with written (i.e. editable) media? I'm not autistic, or at least not above the level of a potential but unlikely undiagnosed microautism, but I know that I'm much more comfortable communication by textual means rather than vocalizaiton. I enjoy the latter, but find it much harder. Both from an anxiety as well as processing standpoint.

If you don't get what someone is saying, ask them to explain. Unless they're a complete jerk, they'll have no problem explaining themselves a few times. Especially if you let them know that you have difficulties understanding non-literal communication.

Have you read anything about the links between gluten/casein in the diet (and possibly other food additives) and autism? Might be something worth looking into. Many patients have had improvements when going on a gluten/casein free diet and there might be a link there, it's definitely worth a shot anyway. I hope you look into it if you haven't already.

Couldn't hurt. Casein is the devil (delicious though it may be), and gluten affects so many people in so many odd ways ...

Is it real-time conversation that you have trouble with, or do your difficulties remain with written (i.e. editable) media?

You've come across extremely clearly and precise in your post. You've conveyed your emotions and thoughts in a perfectly understandable way : ) If someone were to ask you a question about a topic, could you write them an answer? Would your answer be satisfying to you in regards to its relevance and degree of depth?

I think the most obvious help would come from support groups. There would be others along the spectrum that feel the same as you and can offer help and share their experiences.

As for dietary modifications, I've only seen anecdotal evidence. *shrug*. Well, that's not true. More like the number of subjects is too low (ex. 20 or 22) to be significant.

Read about the diet and talk with your Doc.

I would say the problem is coming up with an explanation or story live, as I will stutter and be really careful when selecting words unlike most people who just seem to be machine gunning it out. The structure will be quite messed up because I forget a lot of the relevant stuff, being added in odd places where it just doesn't make so much sense. I'm sure a lot of people are confused when I am talking about something, as some give me that clueless "ahaaa" kind of facial expression where I am aware what I said is like a sentence blended in a mixer. Anyhow, in rare occasions I get it right triggering people to react in a preferred manner, but chatting is difficult in most cases. Carefully planning and taking my time writing a text can be alright.

The gluten speculation grabs my attention, although minor, but I usually don't believe in those based on ingredients in food. Many thoughts have linked diseases and disorders to food and have been dismissed, probably why I don't listen to them. But I dunno, maybe could be worth a try. Man has made so many disturbances in nature which makes it possible many are contributing to an increased rate of defects.

Well, after all, I guess there is still so little known about the condition. Maybe some day they will find evidence of a steady link, providing minor to major treatments. But thanks for the input guys/girls.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do? How old are you, have you ever had a job, etc...

Have you ever tried psychedelic drugs? I'm assuming something drew you to these forums... I wonder what sort of impact a mescaline or MDMA experience would have on somebody with autism...

edit:
"Since mutism is a cardinal symptom of autistic children and probably the major impediment to successful therapy, it is worth emphasizing that at least temporary speech improvement has been one of the most frequently reported effects of LSD in the work conducted thus far. Other communalities include an elevated mood, less compulsive ritualistic behavior, and increased interaction with others."

"Differences in orientation, patient attributes, drug regime, setting, treatment technique, research design, etc. seem to affect the frequency and stability of favorable outcomes… The types of improvement, when and if they occur, appear to be essentially the same in each study."

"The collective work reviewed here… argues strongly for more extensive and systematic applications of psychedelic drugs in the treatment of autistic schizophrenic children."

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do? How old are you, have you ever had a job, etc...

Have you ever tried psychedelic drugs? I'm assuming something drew you to these forums... I wonder what sort of impact a mescaline or MDMA experience would have on somebody with autism...

edit:
"Since mutism is a cardinal symptom of autistic children and probably the major impediment to successful therapy, it is worth emphasizing that at least temporary speech improvement has been one of the most frequently reported effects of LSD in the work conducted thus far. Other communalities include an elevated mood, less compulsive ritualistic behavior, and increased interaction with others."

"Differences in orientation, patient attributes, drug regime, setting, treatment technique, research design, etc. seem to affect the frequency and stability of favorable outcomes… The types of improvement, when and if they occur, appear to be essentially the same in each study."

"The collective work reviewed here… argues strongly for more extensive and systematic applications of psychedelic drugs in the treatment of autistic schizophrenic children."

The psychedelics I have tried caused an amazing increase in level of compulsiveness, but I have not really experimented with many kinds out of fear caused by several bad experiences. I would really like to test a low dose of LSD, as I have read an article before that showed benefits in children with autism, but I have neither contacts that have it available nor any will to search, making it a challenge trying to acquire the drug.

But yeah, pretty good read whatsoever, but let's not forget this was on children. I think its much harder if not impossible to get the result a child has as an adult, because the brain has already reached a complete state. Also a lot of experiences you had in life can impact the effect, making the outcome different compared to the fresh brain, a pretty much untouched mindset.

I can add that I found weed and cannabinoids worked pretty well to get my imagination and motivation drifting. The sad thing is these drugs along with many others have started to loose their pleasurable appeal they formerly had.

How have you taken cannabinoids? I have heard of people with autism eating thc cookies throughout the day and have had great improvements in quality of life.
You could also look into getting prescribed marinol. I'm not sure how well it will help though.

how old are you? my brother's in his early 20s and he's the same way. he's getting MUCH better as he learns to 'fake it' though.

he started off by making friends playing WOW, which I think really helped his confidence. there are relatively simple challenges that require multiple people to defeat, and I think the game even randomly teams you up with other players to complete them. that way you will have an automatic topic of conversation, a common interest and a common goal with people without having to be face to face with them or even directly speaking to them. and if you "make a mistake", you never have to speak to that person again.

might be good practice for situations when you are faced with more complicated social settings. It certainly helped my brother, who now has a few real friends.

Im old enough to take drugs but not to be a responsible user, never will. Bcuz drugs iz cool n stuff n good n stuff, yknow.

Olololol and i dun hav autizm, i haz syndrome aspergers class Z. I lied. Such an attention whore I am, abang, but not attention whore to the degree I go clubbin o partyin wit cool pplz and talk like this, yo. Totally overrated shit filled with chitter chatter nonsense maaan and whole lotta repetetive dubstep, dnb, trance techno etc. these generic electronic genres.

I play a mmorpg called age of conan atm, used to be a quite big fan of them mmorpgs. But the magic is gone, same old shit rehearsed. Everyone I meet seem to only brag and proceed to talk about totally unintresting stuff, so no, I can't even hold a conversation there. When I say something, they act as if I don't exist. I checked the mirror today but I am not invisible, weird.